The Old Valley Trail runs close to the valley road between Saas-Grund and Saas-Balen, which was once heavily used since it was the only route through the valley.
The trail starts at Saas-Grund’s village square, where the church once stood next to the cemetery. Today, the tower is all that still remains of the old church. From there, the former valley road passes through the hamlet of Gasse, past the artificial ice rink to “Unter dem Berg” and on to the Holy Trinity Chapel, built in 1735. The route continues through the old Tamatten and on to Biedermatten, where there is a turn-off to St. Anthony’s Chapel (built 1692), dedicated to the Holy Family. The trail continues along above the road via the Meiggerli to Saas-Balen.
Make sure you plan enough time for the hike and be sure to wear sturdy walking shoes and good outdoor clothing.
A church and chapel guide is available from all tourist offices in the Saas Valley. G4
Key figures for the last 12 months (since Oktober 2015)
List view (without GEO map) of the tour together with other tours
Tour detail views
View of the detailed tour information (e.g. this page)
References to the tour sheet
Mobile look ups
With the GPS-Tracks app for iPhone or Android
Compared with all other Hiking tours in the Wallis region
Tour history (B05525)
First published: Donnerstag, 27. Juni 2013
Last updated: Donnerstag, 28. August 2014
Tour published by: