Our tour of this lake-side village centres on the 5th century baptistery, dedicated to St. John the Baptist. This octagonal building was the scene of crucial events in the conversion of Switzerland to Christianity. It is the oldest stone building in the country.
Starting from the Capolago railway station, we cross the main square and then follow the road on the left, signposted Rancate. This takes us past the parish church of San Vitale before reaching the baptistery in the centre of the village.
A visit to the church of Santa Croce, a fine Renaissance building (16th century) commissioned by the noble Della Croce family from Milan, is well worth the walk to get there. This church has a central floor plan and an orthogonal dome; the paintings are by Camillo Procaccini (1560-1629) and his school.
Riva San Vitale also has many interesting modern buildings down its narrow alleyways. These include the Casa Bianchi, designed in 1973 by the architect Mario Botta, and the “Casa con studio” (House with Study), designed in 1974 by the architect Giancarlo Durisch.
Guided tours on request
Key figures for the last 12 months (since September 2015)
List view (without GEO map) of the tour together with other tours
Tour detail views
View of the detailed tour information (e.g. this page)
References to the tour sheet
Mobile look ups
With the GPS-Tracks app for iPhone or Android
Compared with all other Hiking tours in the Ticino region
Tour history (B00911)
First published: Freitag, 26. Januar 2007
Last updated: Dienstag, 3. Februar 2015
Tour published by: