Brother Klaus Way leads from Stans to Flüeli Ranft. This is the path Heimo Amgrund followed on the night of December 21, 1481. He was seeking the advice of Brother Klaus, who helped bring peace to the region.
The route was renovated on its 500th anniversary and marked with round signs showing the visions of Brother Klaus. The trail starts at the church in Stans and follows Knirigasse (an alley) up to a chapel called «Maria zum Schnee». The Battle of Allweg monument is especially impressive. This battle, which the French won, took place on September 9, 1798.
From a distance you’ll see St. Niklausen’s large stone bell tower dating back to the 14th century. This quiet place of contemplation lies on a mountain side and offers gorgeous views of Flüeli-Ranft and Sarnen’s Aa Valley. This is where the steep descent into the Melchaa chasm starts. One of the most important sights is the 500-year-old home of Brother Klaus. He built this house and lived there with his family until he decided to become a hermit in 1467.
Key figures for the last 12 months (since September 2015)
List view (without GEO map) of the tour together with other tours
Tour detail views
View of the detailed tour information (e.g. this page)
References to the tour sheet
Mobile look ups
With the GPS-Tracks app for iPhone or Android
Compared with all other Hiking tours in the Obwalden region
Tour history (B02668)
First published: Dienstag, 15. Dezember 2009
Last updated: Mittwoch, 15. Juli 2015
Tour published by: