Homepage: Free tour guide with over 7500 GPS tours and map overlays (MTB, alpine, ski, transalpine, biking, hiking, cycling, mountain bike etc.)
Wooden walkway with Heilighüsli

Wooden walkway with Heilighüsli

Frauenwinkel

Frauenwinkel

Meinrad chapel (Etzel)

Meinrad chapel (Etzel)

The inside of the Meinrad chapel

The inside of the Meinrad chapel

Meinrad chapel with restaurant

Meinrad chapel with restaurant

Sign of the Meinrad restaurant

Sign of the Meinrad restaurant

Tüfelsbrugg - the devil bridge

Tüfelsbrugg - the devil bridge

Memorial place Paracelsus

Memorial place Paracelsus

The imposing Benedictine monastery of Einsiedeln

The imposing Benedictine monastery of Einsiedeln

Tour description

Leaving Rappeerswil, we take the wooden pedestrian bridge, opened in 2001 and passing along the lake dam away from traffic, to Pfäffikon. As early as 1358-1878 there was a similar wooden bridge across the lake. A relict from these times is reached by the new bridge, the Heilighüsli, a bridge chapel from the 16th century. In Pfäffikon the route begins to climb steadily through narrow alleyways, reaching the Luegeten. We are rewarded for our efforts by a wonderful view of upper Lake Zurich and Lake Zurich itself with its islands, Ufenau and Lützelau. The trail is flatter for a short distance, and then climbs steeply again, passing the Meinrad spring and arriving at the Etzelpass at 950 m altitude. There we find the Pilgerhaus (1759) and the Meinrad chapel (1697/98), where the hermit Meinrad lived before he moved on to Einsiedeln. Now we get a view of the «Innerschweiz», the original Switzerland, and we can see the Sihlsee, the Rigi and the Mythen. Now we go down to the Tüfelsbrugg, which takes us across the Sihl. On the other side the hike passes through a high moor on the Hinterhorgen. We now go in a southerly direction to the Galgenchappeli, location of the court and the Einsiedeln high court until the end of the old confederation. After a visit to the St. Gangulf chapel, we find ourselves almost immediately at the large square in front of the imposing Benedictine monastery of Einsiedeln. The present monastery and abbey church was built during the years 1680-1780 on the spot where the hermit Meinrad had erected a chapel in 838.


Further stages

Etape before: Route of St. James, 1st part


Create your own tour review

How pleased would you have been to receive tips or advice before a tour or on an area?

Be the first person to write a review of this tour! A review can be created in just 3 minutes — rate a tour and help others.



Places along the route: Rapperswil - Hurden - Pfäffikon - Luegeten - St. Meinrad - Tüfelsbrugg - Galgenchappeli - Einsiedeln


Webcams

Key figures for the last 12 months (since September 2015)

1984

Views

List view (without GEO map) of the tour together with other tours
3363

Tour detail views

View of the detailed tour information (e.g. this page)
18

Completions

References to the tour sheet
153

Mobile look ups

With the GPS-Tracks app for iPhone or Android

Popularity index

Compared with all other Hiking tours in the Zürich region

Tour history (B00196)

First published: Freitag, 29. Februar 2008

Last updated: Mittwoch, 11. Juni 2014

Tour published by: Presented by www.zuerich.com

Tour characteristics

Distance: 17.6 km | Time requirement: 6 h
Ascent: 700 m | Descent: 195 m
Highest point: 950 m.a.s.l.

Printing, information

See also

Zürichsee Tourismus
CH-8640 Rapperswil
Tel: +41 (0)55 220 57 57
E-Mail: zuerichsee@zuerich.com
Internet: www.zuerich.com