A hike through especially flat countryside, along the famous lakeside path from Rapperswil to Schmerikon and the Linth canal.
Rapperswil is dominated by the castle hill, on which stands the imposing landmark built in the 12th century. Information about the numerous tourist attractions may be found at the Tourist Information on the Fischmarktplatz.
We walk to the Technikum – the engineering school – and to the Heilighüsli, a late Gothic stone construction in the lake. We pass the children’s zoo and the beach and reach Busskirch and the Stampf beach, where the Jona river flows into the Obersee, and then follow the railway to Wurmsbach. The Mariazell Cistercian nunnery was founded in 1259, and since 1843, a school for girls has been associated with it. The lakeside path takes us to Bollingen on the Obersee, known in earlier times for its sandstone quarry. The St.Pankratius parish church was erected in the year 1764. In Oberbollingen we pay a short visit to the well-known St.Meinrad’s chapel, erected in 1628. Our hike takes us past the shipyard to Schmerikon, formerly the headquarters of shipping on the Linth and on Lake Zurich. At the railway station we take a look at the Bürgerhaus zum Hirzen, built in 1610. Leaving the village, we pass through the industrial quarter to the covered wooded bridge over the Aabach. We cross the Gross-Allmeind and use the «Schwarzen Steg» to get to the Grinau shipping center, first mentioned in 670. The tower dates from 1325. The path now goes along the Linth dam and up to the Hinter Benkner Riet. In front of us we see the Benkner-Büchel, to the left we have a magnificent view of the Regelstein – Tanzboden – Speer – Chüemettler – Federispitz hills. We cross the Linth-Hintergraben and then the broad flatland of the Benken Riets to Benken. In 741, the Babinchova (Benken) monastery, an offspring of the Reichenau island monastery in Lake Constance, was first mentioned. From 824 to 828 Meinrad, later the founder of the Einsiedeln monastery, was a pupil in the monastery school.
Key figures for the last 12 months (since Oktober 2015)
List view (without GEO map) of the tour together with other tours
Tour detail views
View of the detailed tour information (e.g. this page)
References to the tour sheet
Mobile look ups
With the GPS-Tracks app for iPhone or Android
Compared with all other Hiking tours in the St.Gallen region
Tour history (B01235)
First published: Mittwoch, 29. Oktober 2008
Last updated: Freitag, 9. Oktober 2015
Tour published by: