Homepage: Free tour guide with over 7500 GPS tours and map overlays (MTB, alpine, ski, transalpine, biking, hiking, cycling, mountain bike etc.)
San Bernardo

San Bernardo

Tour description

This trip starts at the old Augustinian monastery and the church of Saints Bernardino and Girolamo and ends at the church of San Bernardo (11th/12th century) in the chestnut woods known as Curzutt (Corte di Sotto). Take the main road towards Sementina for about 200 m., then turn right onto a little road ‘Su’ta al Cioss’ which leads to the walls enclosing the fort. The remains of these ‘Castles of Famine’ (Forti della fame) help create the atmosphere of the village. It would appear that a part of the walls was built to fortify the church of the Holy Trinity (Santa Trinità) which emerges from a rocky promontory above the village itself.
From this point the path climbs up a pretty mule track to the church of San Bernardo. Right next to a ford there is a little chapel with a typical stone roof The mule track meanders among the vineyards, past rustic dwellings, and finally reaches a terraced pasture at the beginning of the chestnut woods around San Bernardo. Inside the church, amongst other precious decorations, you can admire the 15th century paintings that depict the changing of the seasons through twelve scenes corresponding to the twelve months of the year. The paintings should be read in sequence from right to left. A thirteenth scene is purely decorative. What makes these images so interesting is that they portray the changing seasons by illustrating each month in relation to man’s toil.
Just behind the church a path leads gently to the heart of Curzutt, and the ‘Foundation for the restoration and maintenance of our natural and architectural heredity, and the care of cultivated chestnut woods’. A few hundred metres further on the path descends, intersecting surfaced road at various points. It ends up turning back on itself through the vineyards to the church of the Holy Trinity (Santa Trinità). We would like to point out that it is also possible to take the Monte Carasso – Mornera cable car (Variante A) which has a stopping point at Curzutt.


Highlights:

The centre of Monte Carasso
with its buildings designed by the architect Luigi Snozzi.

The Augustine monastery at Monte Carasso
(15thC) which was also redesigend by Luigi Snozzi and rebuilt between 1990-1993. The ex convent is now an elementary school.

Parish church of saints Bernardino

Girolamo at Monte Carasso (foundations date from the Middle ages)

Chiesa di Santa Trinità
(18thC) with its precious altar decorated with polychromatic stucco in 1704.
To obtain the key call the local council offices of Monte Carasso, Tel: +41 (0)91 821 15

Cappella with stone roof

Church of Saint Bernardo
(11th, 12th C with murals from 15th C. The four seasons in 12 paintings depict each month and how it relates to the work of man in the country. This style can be traced back to medieval times when manuscripts were illuminated with country and cavalry scenes.
To obtain the key call the local council offices at Monte Carasso (Tel: +41 (0)91 821 15 55)


Variants

Variante A: Curzutt - Monte Carasso (by cable car)


Note(s)

Recommended period: september - november


Create your own tour review

How pleased would you have been to receive tips or advice before a tour or on an area?

Be the first person to write a review of this tour! A review can be created in just 3 minutes — rate a tour and help others.



Places along the route: Monte Carasso - Monastero delle Agostiniane - Chiesa della Santa Trinità - Capella - San Bernardo - Curzutt - Monte Carasso


Webcams

Key figures for the last 12 months (since September 2015)

1016

Views

List view (without GEO map) of the tour together with other tours
1434

Tour detail views

View of the detailed tour information (e.g. this page)
18

Completions

References to the tour sheet
49

Mobile look ups

With the GPS-Tracks app for iPhone or Android

Popularity index

Compared with all other Hiking tours in the Ticino region

Tour history (B00916)

First published: Mittwoch, 31. Januar 2007

Last updated: Montag, 18. Mai 2015

Tour published by: Presented by www.bellinzonese-altoticino.ch

Tour characteristics

Distance: 4.6 km | Time requirement: 2½ h
Ascent: 395 m | Descent: 395 m
Highest point: 620 m.a.s.l.

Printing, information

See also

Bellinzonese e Alto Ticino
Sede Bellinzonese
Palazzo Civico
CH-6500 Bellinzona
T +41 (0)91 825 21 31
F +41 (0)91 821 41 20
bellinzona@bellinzonese-altoticino.ch
www.bellinzonese-altoticino.ch