The Basilica of Santa Maria dei Miracoli in Morbio Inferiore was built in the early 17th century and is one of the most awe-inspiring and popular pilgrimage sites in the Canton of Ticino. Here, on the 29th of July 1594, the Blessed Virgin Mary appeared to two young maidens, curing them of their ills.
The village of Morbio Inferiore has many sights of historical, natural and artistic value. For instance, not far from the Basilica is the small chapel of San Rocco (late Baroque) with several fine paintings by Francesco Silva, Innocenzo Ceppi and Giovanni Maria Livio. Close to the cemetery is the old church of San Giorgio, first mentioned in 1309, whose foundations are believed by some archaeologists to date back to the 7th century; its bell-tower was built in the 15th century.
The compact centre of Morbio Inferiore, overlooking the surrounding area, is also well worth visiting. It was home to the Silva family (distinguished artists in the 16th to 18th centuries).
Guided tours on request
Key figures for the last 12 months (since Oktober 2015)
List view (without GEO map) of the tour together with other tours
Tour detail views
View of the detailed tour information (e.g. this page)
References to the tour sheet
Mobile look ups
With the GPS-Tracks app for iPhone or Android
Compared with all other Hiking tours in the Ticino region
Tour history (B00899)
First published: Donnerstag, 11. Januar 2007
Last updated: Donnerstag, 29. Januar 2015
Tour published by: